Back in 2002, someone would have to make a recording of themselves whistling the tune, post it on a free site such as geocities (which was big back then), then finally ask a question in a relevant newsgroup on USENET. Consider this exchange:
3 posts by 2 authors in alt.music.lyrics
Anne Dire 2/3/02
I woke up this morning with a song stuck in my head, and although I
know it's an oldie (70-80), just can't remember who's singing it,
can't remember the title, and can hardly remember some words...
It has that 70s feeling to it (kinda like The Joker by Steve Miller Band, or Stuck in the Middle with You). There's a crescendo, the guy is saying something like "my body is starting to shiver, my palms are starting to sweat" and the chorus is something along the "new joy that I found". The atmosphere created by the song is sunny, care-free, happy and laid-back. A great song, if you ask me.
If you happened to know who's singing it and what's the title and if you have the lyrics too, that would be super!!!!
I posted all I know about it (along with a sample of me whistling at http://www.geocities.com/zam0lx1s//WhistlingTune.html. Also, here is a UUencoded zip archive of what I think the song sounds like. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you know!!!
- Lady_Giraffe@hm -- 2/3/02
- LYR: ***please help ID song***
- "Anne Dire" <email@example.com> wrote in message
- - show quoted text -
- Oooooh...this one was easy...especially after your whistling...<grin>. It's
not shiver, but quiver and it's Led Zeppelin...here's the lyrics.
- Artist Led Zeppelin
Album In Through the Out Door
Song Fool In The Rain
- Fool In The Rain
- Oh, Baby,
- Well there's a light in your eye that keeps shining
Like a star that can't wait for the night
I hate to think I've been blinded baby
Why can't I see you tonight?
- And the warmth of your smile starts a-burnin'
And the thrill of your touch gives me fright
And I'm shaking so much, really yearning
Why don't you show up, make it all right?
Yeah, it's all right.
- And if you promised you'd love so completely
and you said you would always be true
You swore that you would never leave me, baby:
What ever happened to you?
- And you thought it was only in movies
As you wish all your dreams would come true
It ain't the first time believe me, baby
I'm standin’ here feeling blue
Yeah I'm blue
- Now I will stand in the rain on the corner
I'll watch the people go shuffling downtown
Another ten minutes no longer
And then I'm turning around
- The clock on the wall's moving slower
My heart it sinks to the ground
And the storm that I thought would blow over
Clouds the light of the love that I found
- Now my body is starting to quiver
And the palms of my hands getting wet
I've got no reason to doubt you baby,
It's all a terrible mess
- I'll run in the rain till I'm breathless
When I'm breathless I'll run till I drop, hey
The thoughts of a fool's kind of careless
I'm just a fool waiting on the wrong block, oh yeah
Light of the love that I found...
Anne Dire 2/4/02
LYR: ***please help ID song***
Thanx a lot, Lady Giraffe.
You're one of the many happy ppl who make the Internet a warm, fuzzy place
These days, you can run programs on the device of your choice.
- Midomi (free, microphone)
- AudioTag: (free, recording file)
- Musipedia (“melody search engine” using Melodyhound)
- MelodyCatcher (much like Musipedia)
- Name My Tune (crowdsourcing, few answers)
- WatZatSong (like nmt)
There’s quite a few more, but this should suffice.
Sources / More info: patheticccc