A Russian hacker has managed to crack the authentication for in-app purchases on the iOS platform, which means that customers can now get a free ride on apps that previously used to charge an arm and a leg..
He has even made a second video (after the first one was deleted) which he calls “app store emulator”. It still does nto require a jailbreak and can be completed by novices in three steps using any iOS device; it works on all versions, from 3.0 to 6.0. These are the steps involved:
- Log off your iTunes account.
- Install the certificates by tapping from your iDevice screen in the stated order: First, Second.
- Go to application where you want to buy in-apps, and make attempt to buy something. Tap "Cancel" on "Do you really want to purchase?" window.
- Open Wi-Fi settings on your iDevice and tap arrow on the right of your Wi-Fi network. Remove all data from DNS field and set it to this IP address: 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206 (more to come)
- Go to your application and try to buy something! You will see dialog window asks you to Love apple, "LOVE" IT! When iDevice asks you to enter credentials, enter random credentials, not yours
- NB: If you see default app-store "Are you sure to purchase?" you ARE NOT CONNECTED TO IN-APPSTORE.COM. Please re-read instructions and try to setup service again.
- You should use in-appstore.com only when you want to get in-app purchase for free. After "purchasing" you must unset DNS. You can set it again without certificates installation to access in-appstore again.
His bitcoin address is: 15GCBL7gHbf2p8bapozSrZhNaXdrKUWRFF
Personally, I don’t quite understand why did Youtube remove his first video – it does not sound like Apple had grounds for a “copyright” claim.
These are the screenshots he published:
1. install first cert
5. Warning! Install now.
6. Choose your current Wi-Fi settings.
3. Done. Now trusted.
7. Enter new DNS.
4. Install 2nd cert.
8. Choose LOVE
“The security of the App Store is incredibly important to us and the developer community,” Apple representative Natalie Harrison, told The Loop. “We take reports of fraudulent activity very seriously and we are investigating.”
You may also install hacked apps using Installous 5 on Cydia. The source is http://cydia.hackulo.us